Digital marketing has become one of the best ways to promote a business. Whether you are a new entrepreneur or a successful small business that has been in the game for a long time, you cannot ignore having a digital marketing plan that can help gauge the success of your business.
Although there are different approaches to marketing a physical location or e-commerce business, most people search for products and services online before purchasing. In the age of information where smartphones are at everyone’s fingertips, a digital marketing plan should be one of your top strategies.
The question is, how do you know if your marketing plan is working? You can be making fatal mistakes and not even know it. Here are five digital marketing mistakes that you need to avoid at all costs.
Digital Marketing Mistakes To Avoid
Not Making Content
In the world of technology, content is truly king. A strong digital marketing strategy must include content that engages with customers and is published consistently.
Regular content is the key to digital marketing success. Without content that engages, your website will always suffer. As the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. This also applies to content marketing. The more that customers see you with a consistent message that gives them new information, the sooner they will want to work with you and the more they will suggest you to other people.
Not Asking for Reviews
Reviews are the new word of mouth. Did you know that 90% of consumers read online reviews before visiting a business? When it comes to your business reputation, reviews are going to help you secure new business.
While some small business owners may feel odd asking for a review from their customers, the truth is that most people are willing to leave a review if asked. The key is making it easy for customers to leave their reviews in under 10 seconds. If you need a completely automated solution, contact us to learn more about our reputation management software.
For those who prefer to contact each customer personally, the good news is you can start reaching out to your past customers today! It’s easy to make a review link, so there’s no reason to not ask for reviews. When you create your review links, focus on the top platforms where customers typically find you. Since Google is the top search engine, start there and work your way up to other platforms like Facebook, Yelp, and Bing.
You can also include the option for your customers to send audio reviews or video reviews right from their smartphone. This added convenience will increase the likelihood that they will give you the review you requested. Since most people prefer video and audio recordings over the written word, it will also be more engaging for those who are looking at reviews of your business.
No Social Media Marketing Strategy
Like content marketing, a solid social media strategy is one of the top things you need to have in place when evaluating your overall digital marketing process.
Social media is one of the first places that people look at when searching for a product or service they need. Essentially, social media has become the new White Pages.
Make sure that your social media profiles give accurate information about your business. Aside from the standard info, be sure to fill out your business category and keywords. Facebook allows you to enter up to three categories, so pick the ones which closely match your services.
Once your social media page is complete with essential information, a professional profile pic, and optimized cover photo, start publishing engaging posts.
If you’re not sure what your audience likes, start experimenting with different types of posts relevant to your industry. Whether it’s images, videos, or generic status updates, you will eventually discover what your audience likes most. From there, keep giving them the content they want!
Not Engaging with Your Email List
Digital marketing includes consistently engaging with your current customers.
No matter the size of your email list, remember to reach out to them at least once a week with an email message that lets them know what’s going on in your business, trends in your industry, and how you can help them with a product or service specific to your business.
Don’t ignore the audience that you already have. Repeat customers offer substantial value to your business. Remember that they are simply waiting for you to reach out to them.
Not Tracking Your ROE
Appropriately tracking your results is the key to knowing what type of marketing is working for your company. When you follow campaigns closely and watch the numbers, you get a better understanding of the return on effort (ROE) and ROI.
Remember to track all your digital marketing efforts, no matter how small they may seem. For example, if you promote one of your blog posts through a specific service, remember to get the analytic information on how well that promotion went.
If you’re making any of these digital marketing mistakes, correct them quickly. When you do, you will see improvement in your results! Not only will you notice a change in how your audience responds to you, but you will also maximize the return on your investment for each piece of your digital marketing strategy.
Create Your Digital Marketing Plan Today
Is your business making any of these digital marketing mistakes? The good news is there are many opportunities to reverse past mishaps and get your company moving in the right direction. To recap, here are five ways to ramp up your online presence:
- Publish fresh website content on a regular basis. Remember, the key here is quality over quantity. Ask yourself, do I have the resources and staff necessary to publish fresh content weekly? If that seems overwhelming, aim for one new piece of content each month. This content might be a blog post, case study, or a press release. Start with a content strategy realistic for your business and stick with it. Over time, you’ll see what your audience likes most. From there you can brainstorm new ways to reach your customers.
- Start building your online reputation. Today’s consumers trust online reviews as much as recommendations from friends and family. The best way to get feedback from your customers is to create a review funnel. Remember to ask and remind customers to share their experience online. Direct them to a destination designed to convert customers into reviewers. Keep in mind that some platforms require account registration, so guide each reviewer through selecting the best review site and completing a review.
- Create a business page on social media. The days of flipping through the White Pages are no more. Phonebooks have become obsolete. Nowadays, people expect your business to be active on social media. Start by creating a business profile on whatever platform(s) that work best for your business. Where can you find your target audience? It might be LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or even SnapChat. Pick one platform and completely optimize it so you can start engaging with your audience. Once you gain traction on the first platform, think of others that might be a good fit and repeat the process.
- Reach out to your existing customers via email. No matter the size of your email list, regular communication is essential to your bottom line. Remember it’s easier to keep customers than it is to acquire new ones. Whether it’s sending a company update, a personal follow-up message, or a special offer based on their purchase history, weekly emails will keep your business top of mind. Even if it’s just to check in and see how things are going, stay in touch with your network. To get some inspiration on your email strategy, check out the hottest email trends of 2019.
- Track your marketing efforts. Make sure to set goals and keep a record of all your marketing efforts. It’s essential to know what works and what doesn’t. There are many ways to review analytics and gain insights. With the proper filters and reports, Google Analytics can provide invaluable data about your performance across multiple campaigns. There are also useful insights available on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. No matter how you acquire this information, watch the numbers and test new strategies to determine which marketing efforts give the best results. How do you know when to claim victory if you never set a goal?
Use this guide as a starting point for improving your digital marketing plan. Be sure to keep track of your efforts and modify your approach as needed for best results. By following these tips, you can overcome any mistakes your business may have made in the past. In due time, your business will reap the rewards of a focused digital marketing strategy.
Are you ready to achieve more leads, conversions, and sales for your business? Apart from applying the helpful tips laid out in this article, contact us today to see how we can help!